Commercial roofing systems are crafted to withstand the unique challenges of larger structures, heavier foot traffic, and complex ventilation and utility systems. These systems are distinct from residential roofing systems in scale, design, and functionality; and are made to provide long-lasting protection for office buildings, warehouses, factories, and so much more.
While residential roofing usually uses materials like asphalt or wood shingles, commercial roofing systems utilize highly durable materials like EDPM, TPO, or PVC. These materials are resistant to harsh weather conditions and offer enhanced protection from extreme heat and cold, intense rain, and UV radiation. The protection provided by a durable and well-maintained commercial roof is crucial, as it helps ensure the safety of employees and clients, reducing the risk of accidents and costly disruptions to business operations.
Let’s explore further into the specifics of commercial roofing systems, their diverse types, and the benefits that they offer for enhancing protection, assuring longevity, and providing further peace of mind.
Types of Commercial Roofing
Flat Commercial Roofs
Flat roofs are a staple within commercial construction and are primarily known for their affordability and ease of installation. Despite their name, these roofs have a slight slope to help facilitate water drainage. Common materials for flat roofs include built-up roofing (BUR), single-ply membranes like TPO and PVC, and modified bitumen. Flat roof systems help provide usable space for equipment installations or recreational areas, making efficient use of available square footage. However, proper drainage and maintenance are crucial to prevent water pooling and maintain structural integrity.
Metal Roof Systems
If flat roofs are known for their affordability, metal roofing is prized for its durability. Unlike flat roofs, metal roofs also require less maintenance. Typically made from materials like steel, copper, or aluminum, metal roofs are incredibly resistant to even the most severe weather conditions—including snow and hail. Standing seam metal roofs offer sleek aesthetics, while corrugated metal roofs provide strength and cost-effectiveness. Metal roofing can also be eco-friendly, as the metal reflects rather than absorbs sunlight, regulating the temperature and reducing energy costs.
Offering a balance of performance and affordability, Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) roofing is cost-effective while being exceptional for weather resistance, withstanding UV radiation, extreme temperatures, and exposure to chemicals. EDPM’s synthetic rubber membranes also come in large, seamless sheets, which reduce the risk of leaks and simplify the roof installation process.
Of course, selecting the right commercial roofing type for your business will depend on factors such as climate, budget, building use, and maintenance capabilities. By understanding the unique characteristics of the different roofing systems, you can make informed decisions and choose the one that best suits your needs.
Commercial Roof Maintenance Tips
Proactive maintenance is vital for extending the lifespan of your commercial roofing system, ensuring the protection of your structure. Keep your investment in top shape and save money in the long run with these commercial roof maintenance tips:
- Regular inspections: Schedule routine professional inspections—ideally twice a year and after severe weather events, to identify early signs of damage or wear. Look for common issues such as loose seams, punctures, cracks, or pooling water.
- Clear debris: Keep the roof free from leaves, branches, and debris that can clog drains and create standing water. Well-kept roof drainage systems are crucial for preventing leaks and structural damage.
- Gutter maintenance: Keep gutters and downspouts in good repair to prevent water from overflowing and damaging the roof and building’s exterior.
- Regular cleaning: For certain roofing materials like metal, regular cleaning can prevent corrosion and maintain the roof’s appearance.
- Trim overhanging branches: Overhanging branches can damage the roofing material or obstruct sunlight, promoting algae or moss growth. Regular trimming can prevent these issues.
- Address ponding water: If you notice water pooling on your flat roof for more than 48 hours, it’s crucial that you promptly address drainage problems to prevent roof membrane deterioration.
- Seal flashings: Ensure flashings around vents, chimneys, and other roof penetrations are securely sealed to avoid water infiltration. Damaged or loose flashings should be repaired or replaced immediately.
- Repair promptly: Address even minor issues directly to prevent them from becoming more extensive and costly problems. Work with a professional roofing contractor to guarantee expert repairs.
- Keep records: Maintain detailed records of inspections, repairs, and maintenance activities. This documentation helps track the roof’s history and helps contractors plan for future maintenance.
Efficient Roof Repair Services
When it comes to industrial roofing services, trust the expertise of All Coast Roofing. Committed to excellence, our team uses top-quality materials and cutting-edge techniques to ensure your roof is kept in top shape year-round.
With over 20 years of experience in the industry, All Coast Roofing provides you with professionals skilled in all aspects of roofing maintenance and installations—from simple roof replacements to intricate skylight installations. Each member of our team strives for absolute customer satisfaction in every roofing project we undertake. Visit our website to learn more about our roofing services.
Requesting Commercial Roofing Quotes
Once you’ve completed your research on the roofing type that best suits your budget and preferences, it’s time to start requesting quotes from reputable roofing contractors. Consider partnering with a company that specializes in industrial roofing services when seeking a quote.
Requesting a quote from All Coast Roofing guarantees fair roof cost estimation, affordable pricing, and unmatched quality. Contact us today for commercial roofing solutions!